Go Back   FormKaos: Board > General Discussion > Coffee Lounge

Coffee Lounge Talk amongst other community members.

Reply
 
LinkBack Topic Tools Rate Topic
  #76 (permalink)  
Old Feb 01, 05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Jen-E-03 is on a distinguished road
i think its nice for ppl to have somethin to believe in...as long as they dont preach about it to me
Reply With Quote
  #77 (permalink)  
Old Feb 01, 05
www.myspace.com/atsang
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Anjew is on a distinguished road
I mean the war that is taking place right now is a holy war right?
every war that takes place - each respected country calls it an act of god or some crap. and these people are willing to blow themselves up for their religious causes.
Reply With Quote
  #78 (permalink)  
Old Feb 01, 05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
SomeGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoo
Yar! damn those Taoist, Confucianists, Buddhists for being so closed minded.

I think everyone who reads your post will understand what you were trying to say, it's just you could have written it more eloquently.
Agreed, but I was super tired when I wrote it :P

Miss Myra: There can be open minded religious people but for me, they are few and far between the others. I went to Church for 5 years I've been friends with tons of Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, Christian/Catholic, Buddhist, Taoist people and I have yet to meet one who would question there religion or seek further truth from there religion than what is written in a basic text/scripture. My point is should you not seek out this truth and if you want to believe it is the truth, should you not verify that it is true? It hasn't been tampered with.

Some of you may believe that I'm not a spiritual person because I am against organized religion but the truth is that I'm quite spiritual in my own way. Which does not involve me gathering at a shrine, temple or church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preet
Wear your crutch like a crown.
That is one of the dumbest comments I've ever heard, because any agnostic/atheist person would believe the same is true for religious people.

If you chose to follow a relgion should you not do reasearch on ALL religions and read the dichotomy between the Koran(Qur'An), Holy Bible etc.. and then make your decision based upon what suits you best or what you believe most in? Most religious people become so enclosed in one narrow pathway of religous beliefs that they never open themselves up to the others that surround them. I would be perfectly ok with religious people if they read about all the other religions before they made there choice, but the truth is they don't. This is a big choice should you not be as well informed as possible?
Reply With Quote
  #79 (permalink)  
Old Feb 01, 05
'latinum respect.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
miss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to all
I don't see how pigeon holing all religious people makes you any better than a religious person with an ignorant world view that sees things in black and white?
Reply With Quote
  #80 (permalink)  
Old Feb 01, 05
Ever666
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Clayton. has a spectacular aura aboutClayton. has a spectacular aura aboutClayton. has a spectacular aura about
I'll start my own religion.
Reply With Quote
  #81 (permalink)  
Old Feb 01, 05
'latinum respect.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
miss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to all
I also don't see how your limited interactions with people who follow certain religions allow you to speak on behalf of every person that considers themselves religious?

I can see how yes, what you say does actually apply to some people, but you are using some very strong words that appear to generalize EVERY SINGLE RELIGIOUS PERSON and that I have a serious problem with. If you don't like ignorant, bull headed people that preach their beliefs, that kind of works both ways.
Reply With Quote
  #82 (permalink)  
Old Feb 01, 05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
SomeGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss.myra
I also don't see how your limited interactions with people who follow certain religions allow you to speak on behalf of every person that considers themselves religious?

I can see how yes, what you say does actually apply to some people, but you are using some very strong words that appear to generalize EVERY SINGLE RELIGIOUS PERSON and that I have a serious problem with. If you don't like ignorant, bull headed people that preach their beliefs, that kind of works both ways.
I'm not pigeon holing all religious people. I'm just not wording my entire post like it's a socially/politically correct bloody speach. I can reword EVERYTHING so no one get's offended if you'd like? But I thought most people would be able to get what I'm saying without getting offended, I GUESS NOT! I'm not a close minded fool who pigeon holes everyone and yes I realized that someone who is agnostic/atheist or believes in the sciences can be the exact same way as a religious person.
Have you read the teachings of the Kuran, Hsuan Chiao, Hinduism Scripture, Buddhist scripture, Sikh scripture? or were you just raised as a Christian?
Reply With Quote
  #83 (permalink)  
Old Feb 01, 05
'latinum respect.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
miss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to allmiss.myra is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
Have you read the teachings of the Kuran, Hsuan Chiao, Hinduism Scripture, Buddhist scripture, Sikh scripture? or were you just raised as a Christian?

You mean it's not possible to have done both?
Reply With Quote
  #84 (permalink)  
Old Feb 01, 05
I *Heart* Sarcasm
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Rhianna is an unknown quantity at this point
Conor, I liked you better when you didn't post.
Reply With Quote
  #85 (permalink)  
Old Feb 01, 05
Antenna_Boy's Avatar
*Nazzy-look-alike*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Antenna_Boy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
shamans used plants to cure the ill...
that's callled using the biological plant medicine..aka...science medicine..tell me how words can cure the ill..especially in those big theatres where the priest pushes/punches the people in the face while yelling out "YOU ARE HEALED!!!!" ?
Reply With Quote
  #86 (permalink)  
Old Feb 01, 05
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Joanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antenna_Boy
that's callled using the biological plant medicine..aka...science medicine..tell me how words can cure the ill..especially in those big theatres where the priest pushes/punches the people in the face while yelling out "YOU ARE HEALED!!!!" ?
ever heard of hypnotism?

the power of suggestion can be stronger than most people think.

--Joanne :P
Reply With Quote
  #87 (permalink)  
Old Feb 01, 05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
(val)Liam is an unknown quantity at this point
shamanism is based on spirituality... a lot of these medicines were discovered during "vision quests" and not through actual scientific procedure... this is how religion/spirituality has cured the ill...
Reply With Quote
  #88 (permalink)  
Old Feb 01, 05
Antenna_Boy's Avatar
*Nazzy-look-alike*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Antenna_Boy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananasinpjs
ever heard of hypnotism?

the power of suggestion can be stronger than most people think.

--Joanne :P
I remember believing only once that I was hypnotized. Then I farted and the hypnotist to me to better get off the stage, and then I woke up sitting in a seat within the crowd :) hahahah.
Reply With Quote
  #89 (permalink)  
Old Feb 01, 05
The Beast What Squeeks
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Psycho_Laughs is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss.myra
You mean it's not possible to have done both?
i love you myra!
spawn my offspring?
Reply With Quote
  #90 (permalink)  
Old Feb 02, 05
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
interloper is an unknown quantity at this point
Why is it a dumb comment? Or perhaps its that you dont have the intellect to properly understand what it means, so to you it seems dumb. It means that RELIGION IS FOR THE WEAK, those who can not delve deep into their mind and body and search for their own purpose of life. Religion is for those who who dare not think outside the box about the existance of humans. Religion is a "crutch" for the weak, which is great for those who are having a rough life, but I sure as hell will not be subjugated to religions hypocrisy.

Thats also a line from a song, much like many of my posts are.

-Preet


Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
Agreed, but I was super tired when I wrote it :P

Miss Myra: There can be open minded religious people but for me, they are few and far between the others. I went to Church for 5 years I've been friends with tons of Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, Christian/Catholic, Buddhist, Taoist people and I have yet to meet one who would question there religion or seek further truth from there religion than what is written in a basic text/scripture. My point is should you not seek out this truth and if you want to believe it is the truth, should you not verify that it is true? It hasn't been tampered with.

Some of you may believe that I'm not a spiritual person because I am against organized religion but the truth is that I'm quite spiritual in my own way. Which does not involve me gathering at a shrine, temple or church.


That is one of the dumbest comments I've ever heard, because any agnostic/atheist person would believe the same is true for religious people.

If you chose to follow a relgion should you not do reasearch on ALL religions and read the dichotomy between the Koran(Qur'An), Holy Bible etc.. and then make your decision based upon what suits you best or what you believe most in? Most religious people become so enclosed in one narrow pathway of religous beliefs that they never open themselves up to the others that surround them. I would be perfectly ok with religious people if they read about all the other religions before they made there choice, but the truth is they don't. This is a big choice should you not be as well informed as possible?
Reply With Quote
  #91 (permalink)  
Old Feb 02, 05
www.myspace.com/atsang
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Anjew is on a distinguished road
ok i just don't understand why non religious people have to oppress their views.

Honestly let people live their lives. If it makes them feel good about their lives who the hell are you to tell them otherwise. Is it hurting you? Are you mentally scarred? honestly, why do you care?
This thread is sad in one aspect and that is that people are speaking as if they know everything. let me clarify one thing for you guys. YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT. If someone believes in something let them. Is it hurting them or you? no.

you state that religious people are close-minded well religious people could say the exact same for you. 2 diffrent worlds and millions of diffrent views. Let it be.

I say let the thread die. no one's views are going to change from it. Just a whole lot of bickering back and forth.
Reply With Quote
  #92 (permalink)  
Old Feb 02, 05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
(val)Liam is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^^ I like this thread... religious debates ALWAYS get people cooking...
Reply With Quote
  #93 (permalink)  
Old Feb 02, 05
wum's Avatar
wum wum is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
wum is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper
Why is it a dumb comment? Or perhaps its that you dont have the intellect to properly understand what it means, so to you it seems dumb. It means that RELIGION IS FOR THE WEAK, those who can not delve deep into their mind and body and search for their own purpose of life. Religion is for those who who dare not think outside the box about the existance of humans. Religion is a "crutch" for the weak, which is great for those who are having a rough life, but I sure as hell will not be subjugated to religions hypocrisy.

Thats also a line from a song, much like many of my posts are.

-Preet
Religion is high culture. It gives one an ideal to live up and aspire to. It tells us that we are more than just our bodies, but souls as well. Contrast that with today's secular humanism where "man is the measure of all things." Every sexual impulse and bodily function is explored and celebrated as "courageous" and every demur is prudish and oppressed.

Without religion we behave like animals. We worship ourselves and the normalization of all things obscene are suddenly the clarion call to "freedom." Take for the instance the "Vagina Monologues" where at the end of the show the audience is roused to chant the word "cunt" over and over again.

Is this supposed to be "progress" and enlightenment of the female spirit so sought after? Don't be fooled, our Creator is the source of all that is good, and without God's love we are unfinished products, grasping at straws to define an otherwise pointless existence.

Reply With Quote
  #94 (permalink)  
Old Feb 02, 05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Taddy_Bare is an unknown quantity at this point
"Sheep go to heaven
Goats go to hell
Sheep go to heaven
Goats...go to hell"

catchy little ditty that one
Reply With Quote
  #95 (permalink)  
Old Feb 02, 05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
(val)Liam is an unknown quantity at this point
wum: I couldn't give you karma for some reason but I have to say that you have the funniest signature I've ever seen on these forums :)

lmao!
Reply With Quote
  #96 (permalink)  
Old Feb 02, 05
wum's Avatar
wum wum is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
wum is an unknown quantity at this point
thanx :)
Reply With Quote
  #97 (permalink)  
Old Feb 02, 05
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
interloper is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok but let me pose this question - Suppose I believe in a sort of spirituatlity, something other than just that of a body, but I do not believe in a god, or a christ figure or anything like that. Would that be considered religious?

I agree with you that we are behaving like animals but isnt killing innocent people by the thousands barbaric itself?

I agree with your theme, about ascension to becoming a better human. However I think that religion in itself has been one of the catalysts for our barbaric actions. Although your examples are much more social, that is just from a lack of respect and common sense.

Let me ask you this, Have you ever thought of the full repercussions of killing another human? Would you look another human into the eye as you usurped his last breath from him? I think its borderline animal/barbaric how religion pits humans against one another, to the point that each individual is unable to indentify with the other (call them human). Then again, it all depends upon the hands of the preacher. I mean, almost no religions actual scripture preach evil, most of them originate from one another. I just can not be a follower of a religion when they are more hypocritical than George W.

Although,

I know the pieces fit cuz I watched them tumble down
no fault, none to blame it doesn't mean I don't desire to
point the finger, blame the other, watch the temple topple over.
To bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication.


-Preet


Quote:
Originally Posted by wum
Religion is high culture. It gives one an ideal to live up and aspire to. It tells us that we are more than just our bodies, but souls as well. Contrast that with today's secular humanism where "man is the measure of all things." Every sexual impulse and bodily function is explored and celebrated as "courageous" and every demur is prudish and oppressed.

Without religion we behave like animals. We worship ourselves and the normalization of all things obscene are suddenly the clarion call to "freedom." Take for the instance the "Vagina Monologues" where at the end of the show the audience is roused to chant the word "cunt" over and over again.

Is this supposed to be "progress" and enlightenment of the female spirit so sought after? Don't be fooled, our Creator is the source of all that is good, and without God's love we are unfinished products, grasping at straws to define an otherwise pointless existence.

Reply With Quote
  #98 (permalink)  
Old Feb 02, 05
lebanese blonde
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
lithe is on a distinguished road
this is getting to be such a ridiculous conversation.

wum, i'm not entirely sure you're being serious, but nevertheless... although i agree with some of your points, you're carrying them too far. religion is a human construct, a device. when used positively, it does the things you're saying - creates an awareness of a higher purpose that leads to a higher moral and social standard. however, 'secular humanism' is not necessarily anywhere near as barbaric as what you're describing. there is an innate sense of common humanity and personal importance that is conducive to a moral standard that prevents most people from revelling in the basest of animal instincts. maybe they don't call those elements of humanity "souls," but the same idea can go by many other names which fit within a secular mindset - consciousness? mind? personality? individuality? these all imply something beyond a beastly existence, but aren't typically religious either.

and the "normalization of all things obsence" and the celebration of things hitherto hidden may have gone too far in some respects, but these are in response to centuries of oppression of humanity's animal side, rather than a sudden lack of religious sentiment.

interloper, why exactly do you immediately link religion with the barbaric actions of massacre and murder? religion may be a causative factor of some wars, but so too are politics, economics (ressources), rivalry/competition, and tons of other facets of human society. humans don't kill each other because they're religious, they kill each other because they're human, millions of factors come into play. to use a favoured example of Hitler... the Holocaust didn't occur because Hitler was Christian. the reasons behind what is widely perceived to be the most barbaric human undertaking are many, but include: an existing anti-semitic (racial, not religious) sentiment, both socially and politically, rapid industrialization leading to a depression, and a mass influx of Eastern non-assimilated Jews, who created a foreign body in a homogenizing national identity, thereby presenting an easy scapegoating opportunity. wasn't about the religion.

edit: god, i'm such a nerd. sorry for the essay.
Reply With Quote
  #99 (permalink)  
Old Feb 03, 05
Time is an illusion!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Sniper is an unknown quantity at this point
Religion is a joke......if you look back at into history all religion has ever caused people was harm and suffering......the romans persicuted the Christians....the Nazis ersicuted the jews.....and so on.......it's happened all through history with every religion.......I say we just get rid of it before it happens again......Oh wait it already has with Bush against the Iraqis.


*covers head and prepares for assault from everyone*lol
Reply With Quote
  #100 (permalink)  
Old Feb 03, 05
lebanese blonde
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
lithe is on a distinguished road
^ )@$()*@$()*@$(*@(*%.

people need to study history, let alone religion, before making those sorts of statements. ugh. why bother.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools
Rate This Topic
Rate This Topic:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Forum software by vBulletin
2000-2018 FNK.CA