Go Back   FormKaos: Board > Event Calendar > Vancouver Events > Past Events > Pre 6.0 Archive
FAQ Community Arcade Today's Posts Search

Pre 6.0 Archive Read Only

LinkBack Topic Tools Rate Topic
Old Jul 16, 06
Registered

Ruff House is an unknown quantity at this point
Down to Earth (Un-Official Shambhala AfterParty) - Sept 1/06

Friday, September 1, 2006

Ruff House and Sasquatch Drummer Presents

Down to Earth
A (Un-Official) Shambhala AfterParty

@ The Waldorf
1489 East Hastings Street

Featuring the sounds of Drum'n'Bass, Jungle, Roots Reggae, Dancehall, Breaks, Electro Breaks, Hip Hop, UK Garage, Speed Garage, House, and MC's.

Room One (Main Room):

Hive San Francisco
www.violencerecordings.com

Celebrated on both sides of the Atlantic, its in the unassuming personality of futurist B-boy Hive that drum and bass finds its mightiest bridge between the UK and the US. His tracks have become staples of virtually all of drum and bass legends, from Andy C to Goldie, and make regular appearances on Grooveriders Radio 1 program--on which Hive's towering Neo spent weeks at number one on the Five Mighty Rollers. Hive's label Violence has registered sales comparable to Ram, RenegadeHardware, and Valve. He released a tremendous remix of Goldie's and Rob Playford's, The Shadow for Moving Shadow. Metalheadz has invited him to record an EP for the label. He's toured worldwide, completing a month of dates in New Zealand and Australia in the fall of 2002, preceded by a month in the UK and Europe which included a guest appearance for the Valve Soundsystem. No American has gained such complete entree into the heart of drum and bass.

Hive came of age as a drum and bass producer in the late 90's, but he's long been active in underground music, with roots that extend deep into underground hip hop, embodied in a string of iconoclastic releases and credits that include recording O.D.'s Beneath the Surface album, follwed soon thereafter by his own first album, Working with Sound, released on his own Mandala imprint. The album was largely centered around jazz-inflected instrumental hip hop, but glimmer of drum and bass flickering acress the srface anticipated his forthcoming artistic development. It was on the strength of this album that London/FFRR signed him to an album deal. In 1998 he released Dvious Methods, a hallucinatory fusion of hip hop and and drum and bass. Lauded by critics in Urb, Spin, Raygun, Vice, and DJ Times, the album yielded the single Ultrasonic Sound, which ultimately made it's way on to the soundtrack CD for The Matrix, which notched up double platinum sales, surely as much exposure as any drum and bass artist could hope for and beyond.

Yet beyond is where Hive has gone. Concurrent with his album was the establishment of Celestial Recordings. The label was dedicated to exposing underground hip hop and included luminaries Freestyle Fellowship, Awol One, O.D., Fat Jack, and The Shapeshifters alongside Hive's own tracks. From celestial sprung Vortex, a label dedicated purely to umcompromising drum and bass. Vortex included releases by Dillinja, Tech Itch, Pieter K, Juju, UFO!, Sage, and of course Hive, and established iself as one of the premier drum and bass labels in the US, improving not only on the sound of American releases, but on the overall package as weel, with first rate design, promotion, and DJ support. His The Raw Uncut project was a rousing statement for the label it's tripl-pack vinyl and eight track CD release gathering new fans both in the US and in the UK, represented most dramatically by moving Shadows licensing of three tunes for Killa Bites 2.

A club night to complement the expanding profile of the label was the next logical step, and Hive and label partner Daddy Kev opened the west coast franchise of New York's venerable Konkrete Jungle. Named best dance club in L.A. by Rolling Stone magazine, Konkrete Jungle positioned itself as Los Angeles premier drum and bass weekly until it closed its doors in 2001.

That same year, Hive and Kev dissolved Vortex, and Hive introduced his most recent label, Violence, which has exploded onto the drum and bass scene with ferocious determination. Featuring releases by Klute, Teebee, John Tejada, Gridlock, Keaton, Echo, Juju, and himself, Hive has steered the label into the vanguard of drum and bass.

Since the inception of the label, Hive's musical outpur has grown ever more assertive and daring, personified most clearly by Neo, one of 2003's great anthems. Neo has reached into virtually every corner of drum and bass, from dedicated ravers to disaffected breaks aficionados, binding fans of different stripes together in common cause. Hive has also been spending more time in the studio with collaborators, including Keaton of The Usual Suspects. The two of them were responsible for The Plague, another massive anthem of 2003, released on Hardware. 2004 will see the release of their even more broadly appealing follow-up Bring it On, for Violence.

Tough, propulsize, forged out of both the traditional sampled aesthetic and leading sound designs of contemporary drum and bass, the sound of Hive today bears the imprint of an artist searching for new was to reinterpret the music by his own lights. Neither a retrospective purist, nor a follower of fashion, Hive's music, his Djing and his label strike a steely, inspiring balance, hewing closely to a tight creative vision that has propelled him into the forefront of drum and bass whereever it thrives.

Third Eye Tribe
www.thirdeyetribe.bc.ca

DJ Jacob Cino and Bounty Hunta come together and combine their multi-talents to bring you diverse sounds to get your body moving on the dance floor. Jacob fuses new school breaks, deep techno, hip hop, jungle, and dancehall, while intermittently seducing the crowd with his silky vocals. With dancehall artist, Bounty Hunta, by his side working the crowd with his lyrical styling, this well respected duo always give it 110% leaving a lasting impression with anyone who had the chance to experience their unparalleled sound and exceptional vibe.

Leethal (Toronto) Hip Hop

Bias
Fixed Fridays, Shadow Jugglers Radio, Bias Group, www.nwdnb.bc.ca

DJ Bias has been playing out the sounds of Drum n Bass for 5 years now, whether it be Ragga Jungle, Liquid Funk, or Dancefloor smashers, he is no stranger to mixing all forms of dnb with ease. With his unique style of cuts and flowing quick mixes, if you've ever seen Bias perform you know you are in for a special treat. Having started his DJ career in 2002, he was promoting and djing at a night called 'intake' on Thursday's. Things just didn't seen to stop for Bias. Since then he has opened for the likes of Zinc, DJ Fresh, Marcus Visionary, Capital J, Slip n'Slide, Ryan Ruckus, DJ Hype, Suv, Subfocus, Chase and Status and played in cities like Ottawa, Portland, Seattle, all the way to Scotland, UK, not to mention running one of the hardest hitting Friday nights on the West Coast of Canada for almost two years now. Now he has started his own production company called "Bias Group" which is set the bring you more big name talent at bigger and better venues. He is also proud to be a part of Shadow Jugglers, Vancouver's finest dnb radio show, on 101.9fm/www.citr.ca from 7-9pm on Saturdays with partners MP & Jimungle, for the last two years. Bias is one kat who is not afraid to push the envelope and never look back. Big Up all the DnB massive!!!

Online Mixes:
http://www.bubbleactionpumps.com/mus...t_and_Soul.mp3
http://www.bubbleactionpumps.com/music/BIAS.MP3

Jimungle
Panama Bazarre, Whitebird

Scott "Jimungle" Jackson is a long time DnB DJ, promoter, radio show host and awesome dude from the Vancouver area. He has played along side many DnB legends, including, Aphrodite, Bad Company U.K., Marcus Intalex, DJ SS, Krinjah, Grooverider, Mathematics, Commix, DJ Hype, Subfocus, Influx UK, Capital J, Friction and many more.

Psilocin (last appearance under the name Psilocin)

Lady AK
Abstrakt, Silverwaters & Rype Ent. www.myspace.com/_ladyak

Alla plays many different styles of DnB, to create proper atmosphere for the crowd. Her vinyl collection consists of Liquid Funk, Jump Up, and Tech step/Dark DnB. Also, Lady AK is concentrating on production. Her producing interests began after she made a track together with AAA called "2 Hands", and now created a stock of her own ideas.

Alla says, "The reason I choose to produce and play DnB s because drum n bass is so full of sounds, and has so much energy, I want to express to the world how great it is."

With special appearance by The Tribal Mudmen (An Aboriginal Style Jam)

Room Two:

Sonny Chiba (Seattle) Breaks
Positive Charge, Webbwerx, Beat Affinity

Sonny Chiba began producing electronic music at age 16 using his school's ancient Atari MIDI computer. Ten years later Sonny has become a respected DJ, known for rocking crowds up and down the west coast. An avid breaks DJ and producer, Sonny has collaborated on releases with local luminaries Vize, Soulkid, Kreeper, Whistler, Seattle rapper Cyclone, and numerous solo productions. His most recent mix R.I.P., which is dedicated to those murdered in Seattle last March, is available for download at www.myspace.com/djsc.

Image By www.quana.net
Amanda Rude CD Release
USB (United States of Bassline) http://www.usb.undergroundvinyl.com, FlyDjs http://www.flydjs.biz

Although she's petite in stature, Amanda should not be underestimated as she crashes upon the Vancouver scene. She has torn up the BC interior nightlife; spreading the UK Garage fever amongst HigherGround, Liquidbeat, SmokeOne and FlyDjs events, including many more. Now's the time to hop onboard Rude's fourth demo mix titled "Finders Keepers" as she takes the listener on a journey through dark & bumpin' grooves with that Classic House diva flair. She shares the passion, the music, and the magic with you that will make you jump, bump & kurplunk. Catch her in the Fractal Forest on Sunday night at Shambhala 2006.

B Boy Burkes

Ryan Ross Breaks

Astroglide Speed Garage

Matty G Electro Breaks
www.commongrooves.ca

Hosted by Myster.E MC

Tickets:
first 100 - $15
next 150 - $20
next 100 - $25
more at the door

Vancouver
Boomtown - 102-1252 Burrard Street - 604.893.8696
Smoke Signals - 1151 Granville Street - 604.684.8653
Planet Rock - 1051 Granville Street - 604.688.6026
Zulu - 1972 W 4th Avenue - 604.738.3232
Beat Street - 439 W Hastings Street - 604.683.3344
Grass Roots - 248 Commercial Drive - 604.253.4146
CottonMouth Smoke Shop - 1120 Davie Street - 604.331.1602
Remix - 1228 Granville Street - 604.681.0044
Jamaican Pizza Jerk - 2707 Commercial Drive - 604.876.3343

Burnaby
Laramy - Metrotown Centre - 604.439.2013

Ricmond
UFO - 8700 Mckim Way - 604.303.9691

Abbotsford
Replay Boardshop - 2485 W Railway - 604.859.5867

Victoria
Sacred Herb - 106-561 Johnson Road - 250.384.0659

Clubzone

For private ticket sellers, call 604.696.2306

VIP tickets available.
Gets you front of the line access, chance to meet the artists, free water, free CD's.

Buy your tickets from authorized dealers to ensure entry

2 Rooms
Go-Go Dancers
Hula Dancers
Visual Screens
Intelligent Lighting
Bring Your Bongos!
Costune Contest

Body Painters, Jugglers, Glass Blowers etc Welcome! Contact us about setting up a table

Stringent searches in full effect.
No Thugs, Drugs, or Drama please.
R.O.A.R. - Right of Admission reserved
You act a fool - you get thrown out like a fool!

We welcome other promotions at our event. If you have something to advertize for such as events, record labels, clothing, local shops etc, email us for guestlist to come down to the venue before the start of the show to put up posters and flyers or set up a stand. We will have flyer and CD tables set up. We're not your average production company, we support the scene so if you support us, we'll support you.

Be part of our street team and receive free entry to our events as weel as others, email: sasquatchdrummer@yahoo.ca or ruffhousepresents@yahoo.ca

Last edited by Ruff House; Aug 23, 06 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jul 21, 06
alla

gimmie the line up!!
Old Jul 21, 06
Rype Entertainment

Matty Cue is on a distinguished road
Which rooms r u using for the show?
Old Jul 22, 06
Rype Entertainment

Matty Cue is on a distinguished road
BUMP!!

Which rooms are you using?
Old Jul 22, 06
alla

^ lol

u're so funny
Old Jul 22, 06
*bassline baby*

baby-phat is a jewel in the roughbaby-phat is a jewel in the roughbaby-phat is a jewel in the roughbaby-phat is a jewel in the roughbaby-phat is a jewel in the rough
Tell me more damnit!! lol
The Waldorf is close enough to my place that I can easily do the drunken stumble or drunken crawl home.
Old Jul 22, 06
FLYDJS/USB/SOULCHAMPION

amanda rude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby-phat
Tell me more damnit!! lol
The Waldorf is close enough to my place that I can easily do the drunken stumble or drunken crawl home.
I'll be there so you'll be there ;)
Old Jul 22, 06
*bassline baby*

baby-phat is a jewel in the roughbaby-phat is a jewel in the roughbaby-phat is a jewel in the roughbaby-phat is a jewel in the roughbaby-phat is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda rude
I'll be there so you'll be there ;)
Quoted for truth. *giggle* :202:
Old Jul 24, 06
Registered

Lineup has been posted
Old Jul 24, 06
Living in the NOW

Bobby_T is an unknown quantity at this point
That is an impressive lineup!....
Old Jul 24, 06
alla

wikkid!
Old Jul 24, 06
~+!~

Jonny Dubbs is on a distinguished road
boh! Sounds like good times. Ill be there!

ummm question though.. you have both the 1st and 2nd listed, i was told its the saturday the 2nd, is that correct?
Old Jul 24, 06
alla

i'm playin with Jimungle??? *falls over*

yay i was just telling Scotty i havnt seen him play in so long

FINALLY
Old Jul 24, 06
Registered

miss belle is an unknown quantity at this point
Shit's gonna be CRAZY!
Old Jul 24, 06
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Dubbs

ummm question though.. you have both the 1st and 2nd listed, i was told its the saturday the 2nd, is that correct?

sorry about that it is the friday sep 1
Old Jul 24, 06

-evil-duerr- is a glorious beacon of light-evil-duerr- is a glorious beacon of light-evil-duerr- is a glorious beacon of light-evil-duerr- is a glorious beacon of light-evil-duerr- is a glorious beacon of light-evil-duerr- is a glorious beacon of light-evil-duerr- is a glorious beacon of light
sweeeet

im thur
Old Jul 24, 06
FLYDJS/USB/SOULCHAMPION

amanda rude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Dubbs

JON, you are comming! Shit boy, this is going to be a wicked reunion ;)
Old Jul 24, 06
Common Grooves Promotions

MattyG is an unknown quantity at this point
Bump!

Yes Yes.. This will definitely be a sweet jam. I'm anxious to ear Hive's set for real.
Old Jul 25, 06
www.commongrooves.ca

LastWerd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyG
Yes Yes.. This will definitely be a sweet jam. I'm anxious to ear Hive's set for real.
pffft, I didn't even know you were spinning!

Omg, this party is going to kick so much ass! Very excited!
Old Jul 25, 06

Lenny is on a distinguished road
Third Eye is always a treat! Looking forward.
Old Jul 25, 06
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny
Third Eye is always a treat! Looking forward.

true that third eye never disappoints they realy know how to set the mood for a good party
Old Jul 25, 06
youtube.com/pennywise247

Pennywise is just really nicePennywise is just really nicePennywise is just really nicePennywise is just really nicePennywise is just really nicePennywise is just really nice
hollly smokes!!!
HIVE!!! he was fuckin sick @ freaknight in seattle.

Nice choice in locals aswell.
Old Jul 25, 06
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywise
hollly smokes!!!
HIVE!!! he was fuckin sick @ freaknight in seattle.

Nice choice in locals aswell.

thanks man this is true, hive tore it up down there and any where he goes so do not expect nothing short of a ill ass set for van
Old Jul 25, 06
youtube.com/pennywise247

Pennywise is just really nicePennywise is just really nicePennywise is just really nicePennywise is just really nicePennywise is just really nicePennywise is just really nice
Believe me i wasent lol. Im down like charlie brown for this one.
I've never been to a waldorf party before.
Old Jul 25, 06
Registered

miss belle is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywise
Believe me i wasent lol. Im down like charlie brown for this one.
I've never been to a waldorf party before.
Me too, I'm so looking forward to this one!