Go Back   FormKaos: Board > The Office > The Boardroom > FNK Archive > Apex Project 2006
FAQ Community Arcade Today's Posts Search

Apex Project 2006 For all your Apex questions, tickets, stage info and more!

LinkBack Topic Tools Rate Topic
Old May 15, 06
Avana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykee
I stopped doing stages once I realized how much of a circus Apex is.. an event that big needs to be minimum 2 nights long. I tried to urge less stages, even though it is a big venue stages do bleed and I remember the last year I went, someone set a stage right in the middle of 4-5 surrounding stages that were already too close to each other :(

Too crazy for my old ass, never know what to do with yourself.

All the power to the people who are into that kinda raving though!

Mike
The event was scaled down this year. The promoters only wanted to allow 10 stages but there are 12 in total this year.

I appreciate that some people get upset by the soundbleed. But it is part of the Apex charm. It isn't about making money, or having the best stage, or even about being a massive. It is about giving back to the people who pay for event after event. It is about showing off our amazing local talent, and allowing those who don't get to play out a chance.

I say this every year at the Apex meetings. And at the beginning of the year, every promoter has this same ideal. But by the end of the evnet, that focus changes. Unfortunate, but true.
Old May 15, 06
Promoter/DJ

Mykee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avana
The event was scaled down this year. The promoters only wanted to allow 10 stages but there are 12 in total this year.

I appreciate that some people get upset by the soundbleed. But it is part of the Apex charm. It isn't about making money, or having the best stage, or even about being a massive. It is about giving back to the people who pay for event after event. It is about showing off our amazing local talent, and allowing those who don't get to play out a chance.

I say this every year at the Apex meetings. And at the beginning of the year, every promoter has this same ideal. But by the end of the evnet, that focus changes. Unfortunate, but true.
I know what Apex is supposed to be about, the whole idea was formed by a bunch of people who wanted to give back to the rave community and give them a free party every year. It worked for the first 2-3 years but then they started bringing in headliners and then asking for donations at the party and were trying to get atleast $20 from everyone.. After that they started charging $10 per person.

Looking at the lineup for this party it looks really amazing, but just too much at once.. And every stage has headliners, from out of town.. not locals.

Thats good that you've limited the stages, 12 is still a lot though :( that's just my opinion.

I'll go as far to say I think 9 stages at this year's Summer Break is a bit much, but there will be thousands of people there i'm sure. I'm just glad to be apart of something where I can showcase our island vibe in a larger scale event in a different city again.

Mike
Old May 15, 06
Avana

Quote:
I know what Apex is supposed to be about, the whole idea was formed by a bunch of people who wanted to give back to the rave community and give them a free party every year. It worked for the first 2-3 years but then they started bringing in headliners and then asking for donations at the party and were trying to get atleast $20 from everyone.. After that they started charging $10 per person.

Looking at the lineup for this party it looks really amazing, but just too much at once.. And every stage has headliners, from out of town.. not locals.

Thats good that you've limited the stages, 12 is still a lot though :( that's just my opinion.

I'll go as far to say I think 9 stages at this year's Summer Break is a bit much, but there will be thousands of people there i'm sure. I'm just glad to be apart of something where I can showcase our island vibe in a larger scale event in a different city again.

Mike
Before you start preaching to me about the cost of tickets for the event, please bear in mind the cost associated with any event. You have been a part of this event, you should remember the numbers. I am sure you understand the mammoth charges that come with hosting an event like this. Security alone takes up 1/3 of the budget and the RCMP would never allow us to do without. With that said, we still try to keep the cost down as much as we can.

3 of the stages this year are from out of town, so I imagine the representation on their stage is their locals. Speaking for my stage though, this event is recognized up and down the West Coast, to me, Sir Kutz is a local. And as with any Apex, DJ's donate themselves to the cause.

And for the record, a few months ago, I was speaking with Salim and I said that if I won the lottery, I would throw in $50,000 of my own cash, just to make the party free again, so keep your fingers crossed that I do.

ps - Mykee, you have not been back since you stopped being part of Apex when others were in charge. We miss the Island element, come back!
Old May 15, 06
Promoter/DJ

Quote:
Before you start preaching to me about the cost of tickets for the event, please bear in mind the cost associated with any event. You have been a part of this event, you should remember the numbers. I am sure you understand the mammoth charges that come with hosting an event like this. Security alone takes up 1/3 of the budget and the RCMP would never allow us to do without. With that said, we still try to keep the cost down as much as we can.

3 of the stages this year are from out of town, so I imagine the representation on their stage is their locals. Speaking for my stage though, this event is recognized up and down the West Coast, to me, Sir Kutz is a local. And as with any Apex, DJ's donate themselves to the cause.

And for the record, a few months ago, I was speaking with Salim and I said that if I won the lottery, I would throw in $50,000 of my own cash, just to make the party free again, so keep your fingers crossed that I do.

ps - Mykee, you have not been back since you stopped being part of Apex when others were in charge. We miss the Island element, come back!

Thanks Avana I appreciate the kind words.. I would have played this year if I was asked, like you did other years but I guess you gave up when I said no heh :( The other times were the same time as SOundwave and I devote my energy to that event over anything else.. But this year they're apart!

I don't think I have the energy anymore to put time and money down on something a big as that, and not know if i'm going to get anything in return (ie money back or any recognition). Just goes back to what I was saying.. If there were less stages then I would know that atleast some people would come see us play, but the last one I did a stage at barely anyone even made the effort to come over to our area way off in the corner somewhere.. and I lost about a grand paying Whitebird to come over and set up sound.

Silverwaters has made a really good deal with me, I have cotnrol over the outlets on the island so I know I can sell more tickets that way, and our stage is already going to be setup for us when we get there. DOn't really have to worry about anything except to get people to come from the Island which I know I can do!

Enough rambling, good luck with your show.

Mike
Old May 16, 06
Avana

Quote:
Thanks Avana I appreciate the kind words.. I would have played this year if I was asked, like you did other years but I guess you gave up when I said no heh :( The other times were the same time as SOundwave and I devote my energy to that event over anything else.. But this year they're apart!

I don't think I have the energy anymore to put time and money down on something a big as that, and not know if i'm going to get anything in return (ie money back or any recognition). Just goes back to what I was saying.. If there were less stages then I would know that atleast some people would come see us play, but the last one I did a stage at barely anyone even made the effort to come over to our area way off in the corner somewhere.. and I lost about a grand paying Whitebird to come over and set up sound.

Silverwaters has made a really good deal with me, I have cotnrol over the outlets on the island so I know I can sell more tickets that way, and our stage is already going to be setup for us when we get there. DOn't really have to worry about anything except to get people to come from the Island which I know I can do!

Enough rambling, good luck with your show.

Mike
Soundwave is a hard party to compete with on the Island, and since breaking my SW Cherry last year, I understand.

Summerbreak is a good deal, I was asked to do a stage. I don't want to put myself through the stress. *ugh*

We are trying to get the island more interested in coming over, and I have a few tricks up my sleeves for that....(stay tuned for contests)
Old May 16, 06
Promoter/DJ

Quote:
Soundwave is a hard party to compete with on the Island, and since breaking my SW Cherry last year, I understand.

Summerbreak is a good deal, I was asked to do a stage. I don't want to put myself through the stress. *ugh*

We are trying to get the island more interested in coming over, and I have a few tricks up my sleeves for that....(stay tuned for contests)
Booking Logik is a good start! I think Carson was going to play too but said no cuz I might be doing a small party on the island that night.

Booking Island DJs is like so under rated in the Van scene, needs to be done more often! :)

Mike
Old May 16, 06
Dope Tito

Van Tek is an unknown quantity at this point
*dance dance*
Old May 16, 06
Avana

Quote:
Booking Logik is a good start! I think Carson was going to play too but said no cuz I might be doing a small party on the island that night.

Booking Island DJs is like so under rated in the Van scene, needs to be done more often! :)

Mike
I wondered why Carson turned it down!

B.Love was a little nervous about playing such a long set, and wanted to tag, so he is with Logik, which I think is a great choice.

I try to book an Island DJ every year, last year it was Jer and Beej.
Old May 16, 06
Avana

UPDATED LINE UP - I am pleased to annouce the addition of www.slowdjs.com.

Check the line up for their stage!
Old May 16, 06
Dope Tito

niiiice

SlowDJs are the goods!

:rave:
Old May 16, 06
Knows where his Towel is.

Draven GD is an unknown quantity at this point
looks wicked. ill be there if at all humanly possible. havent missed one since i started hitting up Apex. always a good night, guaranteed.
Old May 17, 06
www.dannytaylor.ca

D is an unknown quantity at this point
rabbit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyles
bears being, julian, myself or danny.. shit gets messed when the bottles get cracked.

does a bear shit in the woods and wipe his ass with a rabbit??

in that case it's time to fire one off!
Old May 18, 06
.:.yummymommy.:.

babygirlazn is an unknown quantity at this point
oooh im ready to dance the night and morning away
ryan!!!! i'm going get back at ya for soaking me last year with the supersoaker!
Old May 19, 06
Myriad

alleesha is on a distinguished road
see you all there.
Old May 20, 06
<3 Diversity

Aspectre is an unknown quantity at this point
ooohwee!

I hope I see some old and new faces :)
Old May 20, 06
www.commongrooves.ca

LastWerd is on a distinguished road
just talking to some friends....

My friends from nanaimo and the coast are coming this year! BOH!!
Old May 20, 06
Blz Plz

Kenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Cant wait, always a dope party.
Old May 20, 06
Cka

Cka is an unknown quantity at this point
:027::027::027::027::027::027::027::027: :027::027::027: now u have a guest from JAPAAAN !! :027::027::027::027::027::027::027::027: :027::027::027: wahoofooo lets party lets party :027::027::027::027::027::027::027::027: :027::027::027: cant wait cant wait :027::027::027::027::027::027::027::027: :027::027::027:
Old May 21, 06

Kazuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cka
:027::027::027::027::027::027::027::027: :027::027::027: now u have a guest from JAPAAAN !! :027::027::027::027::027::027::027::027: :027::027::027: wahoofooo lets party lets party :027::027::027::027::027::027::027::027: :027::027::027: cant wait cant wait :027::027::027::027::027::027::027::027: :027::027::027:
Either can I hun! I want my mango calpis!
Old May 21, 06
.:.yummymommy.:.

babygirlazn is an unknown quantity at this point
i can't wait this is going to be a blassssssssssssssssssst

Last edited by babygirlazn; May 21, 06 at 12:45 AM.
Old May 21, 06
Registered

Stereo Type is an unknown quantity at this point
its been a while

Interested to see what kind of crazyness goes on this year!!:127:

B sure to vist The WriteSoundRec/Sound Funktion stage, catering to your every break beat need!!

Jay Wikid Originalz @ http://www.myspace.com/jaywikid
Old May 22, 06
Dope Tito

^ this guy rocks :D
Old May 22, 06
The Orginal Trance Addict

trance4life is an unknown quantity at this point
looking to buy 3 tickets or so
trance604@hotmail.com
write me
Old May 23, 06
Live~Life*To*Love~Life

mushmellow is a splendid one to beholdmushmellow is a splendid one to beholdmushmellow is a splendid one to beholdmushmellow is a splendid one to beholdmushmellow is a splendid one to beholdmushmellow is a splendid one to beholdmushmellow is a splendid one to beholdmushmellow is a splendid one to beholdmushmellow is a splendid one to beholdmushmellow is a splendid one to beholdmushmellow is a splendid one to behold
WOOT!!!!!!

APEXXXXXXXXXXX HERE I COME!!!!!! i always get excited for the next apex the day after it ends! if its anything like i any of the last 3 years i will be sooo happy! just a little more control at the entrance and a little more self control with the bombs! im liking the line ups so far! and i really like the flyer!

HEEERRRE WE GO!!!
Old May 23, 06
Registered

Stereo Type is an unknown quantity at this point
Werd Thanatos!! Stoked to see u at apex..we should chill and collab sometime?